history

The History of Badischer Hof
 

 

Mentioned in the 11th century for the first time, Badischer Hof is the former noble farmstead of a Count from Baden.

From 1815, after the so-called “French time”, the property entered into private hands

and was owned by a family named Kimnach.  At that time the farmstead was a mix of agriculture, animal husbandry,  together with fruit and wine production.  The agriculture and animal husbandy made the family self sufficient, whilst the aim of  wine production was to provide a money making business.

chronik2
Postkarte, 1928, Weiler bei Monzingen
“Gasthaus zum Badischen Hof”

 

chronik3
Weinlese 1937

 

Jakob-Henrich Kimnach and his family lived very well at that time.  The hard work was left to his labourers, and Jakob-Henrich confined his working days to the supervision of the workers.  In the meantime, his wife and daughters sat in the sunshine on the terrace and enjoyed doing their embroidery.

Even today in the village of Weiler, many stories are told of this time.  It is said that on a warm summers day  Jakob-Henrich could be seen sitting in the shade on the terrace keeping watch on his labourers, who were working among the vines on the slopes of  the vineyard.

chronik4
Weinlese 1939

 

chronik5
Peter Hahn, 1947

 

The workers likewise felt that it was too warm to work, and lay down among the vines in the shade and rested.  However, they never forgot that they were being watched. Carefully from time to time they moved their blue working overalls from one post to another a little higher up the slopes.  This way they made sure that the observant boss on the terrace knew that the work was progressing, or so he thought!

Finally, as might be expected, the business ran into financial difficulties. Badischer Hof was sold and Herr Kimnach emigrated to America to try his luck as a gold prospector.  From time to time, even today, his descendents return to the village in search of their roots.

After this Badischer Hof came into the hands of the church, and from 1878 served as the rectory.  At that time the parson worked during the week as farmer and vinter,  preaching the word of God on Sundays.  The property and all the work required became too much for the parson – whose name was Grill. He moved into a new house near the church, and Badischer Hof was divided up and auctioned.  From this time the new house has kept its name, and in the village people still “Go to the Grill”.
 

chronik6
Weinkeller 1949

 

chronik7
Postkarte 1951

 

Badischer Hof as it stands today was, on the occasion of the auction held in 1878, acquired by an ancesor of our family Phillip Heddesheimer.

At the time, he was estranged from his parents having married the daughter of a family who was not considered to be of the “correct station in the social structure”.  He had thus been disinherited, and left without means.  However, he was a clever and hardworking man. He was able to obtain the necessary finances to acquire Badischer Hof, as a result of a 20 year wine delivery contract with an Obersteiner hotel.

Stories are still told about the events which happened at the auction.  He is said to have instructed an affluent acquaintance to bid on his behalf, while he stood by the door observing the course of events and smoking.  He instructed his acquaintance to bid in increments of 100 Goldtaler, so long as he blew the smoke from his pipe straight up into the air.  At this time bids were usually made in increments of 10 to 50 Goldtaler.  The other bidders very quickly dropped out of the running, thinking that they had no chance against this affluent gentleman. Once the auction was over the “affluent successful bidder” called out “Phillip come in and sign”. 

chronik8
Weinlese 1959

 

chronik10 chronik9
Etikett 1959

 

In this way Phillip Heddesheimer, who was almost totally without means, obtained for a very reasonable price a most desirable farmstead.  In the coming years, he proceeded to build the farmstead into an imposing agricultural and vineyard business, and from 1897, he earned a concession on his own wines.

 

During his time and up until 1912,  he built up a thriving wine business which reached as far as Berlin and Konigsberg in East Prussia.  Prior to the first world war,   two thirds of the area in the upper Nahe as far as Sobernheim, was planted with red wine grape varieties – the main ones being Fruh and Spatburgunder!

Phillip  Heddesheimer died in 1913 leaving 4 daughters.  One of them, Karoline, married Peter Hahn, who lived in the neighbourhood.  Peter Hahn took over the running of Badischer Hof, bringing new ideas to the business.

White wine started to become more important, in particular the Riesling grape.  During the time of his military service, Peter Hahn had established lucrative connections with Berlin and Hamburg. and these connections continue to this day with generations of some families still continuing to drink wine from Badischer Hof.

chronik12
Hofansicht 1965

 

chronik11
Hofansicht 1968

 

In 1925, especially for wine customers who had travelled long distances, the first two hotel rooms, with evening meal, were established.

The end of the 1970s saw the end of the animal husbandry at Badischer Hof, followed in the 1990s by the ending of agricultural work. The vineyard and the hotel becoming the main business activity.

Today, once again red wine grape varieties are returning and becoming more important to the Nahe valley, after having nearly disappearing in the 20th century.  In 1981 Badischer Hof started with 0.12 hectares of Domina,  and from then on the red wine growing area has increased.
 

The old records of Phillip Heddesheimer and Peter Hahn are important. They have helped to bring together the old traditions of wine making, with modern technical developments in wine production and cellar management.  This has helped Badischer Hof to produce the best red and white Nahe wines.

Today, Werner Hahn and his family attend to the vines, the wine and the care of our visitors.  The family are pleased to count regular guests, and enjoyers of wine among our friends and customers.

chronik13
Weinhof 1971

top of the page

home